So...apparently I'm a Runner!
I don't know how I got here, but after several attempts and many years of convincing myself I could never run like THOSE people, here I am. This weekend I ran 8 miles within a 24 hour period. Something that I would have never ever thought possible. But hear I sit...and miraculously...can still walk; two days later. So, now that it seems I might survive, and quite possibly LIKE, this undertaking I've decided to blog about it.
Running...being a runner...jogging....making my feet move any faster than a quick stroll has always seemed like this looming dream of mine. I've always looked at people who run with such admiration and envy. I've always considered them...like.. the EPITOME of athletic; but the dreams always seemed to escape me. Often times these super humans would run towards me on the street, in all their cool running gear...faces plastered with confusing smiles; as if they were actually ENJOYING themselves. I would regularly convince myself that they were lying to themselves and everyone else in the world. Cuz there was NO WAY on this earth of ours that anyone could enjoy the chest burning, lung incapacitating, fiery leg sensations..."just kill me now" feeling that running for distance ultimately brings. It took over 40 years, but my outlook on running has finally changed. And, I can finally join the ranks of those saying "I'm a runner"..(well almost. but don't kill my dreams ok...lol)
Up to this point my main reason for wanting to run has just been to accomplish something, seemingly, unattainable in my life. To be able to conquer a fear and overcome tricks that I've played on my own mind when it comes to attacking a physical challenge. Now, that I have actually been running consistently over the last few weeks, I can say that I have found a sincere appreciation for the process of running and the surprising meditative and calming qualities that it possesses. I'm sure about the "thought clearing" aspect just yet: as I've needed every little crevice of my brain to focus on form, breathing, cadence etc. I never really knew there was so much to remember; chest up, head up, shoulders back, don't strike on your toes but not too far back on your heels, breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, swing your arms at your side, but not too much...and on and on and on.
So far, my experience has been WONDERFUL. I managed to find some really cheap but perfect minimalist running shoes for myself that I came across at Macy's one evening while hanging out with my co-workers during a late shift at work. They are the Adidas Element refine and they ROCK! Picking out shoes has always been my biggest anxiety when it comes to feeling properly prepared for the running world; as my feet are flat and underpronated a tad.Coming across these shoes was nothing short of a miracle! It went a long way to convince me that running was my DESTINY!!
Right now I am training for a 5K in late March, a 10 K in mid April and the Seattle Rock and Roll half marathon on June 13th. My goal now is to continue to enjoy my journey with finding my own love of running, staying consistent, focused and injury free. Sometimes it's hard to believe that it took me until now to finally commit to running, but at this point it's definitely getting to the "now or never" point, so I'm committed to giving it my ALL!
How absolutely incredible! I applaud you on taking on such a huge challenge later in life. My attempts at learning to juggle are nothing compared to that, lol. You have much to be proud of!
ReplyDelete